Developing a Distribution Strategy with Matt McGregor
About Matt McGregor
Matt McGregor is a Global Executive Vice President specializing in industrial commercial real estate portfolios for industrial companies. Matt is a supply chain industrial broker focused on representing firms associated with warehousing, fulfillment, manufacturing, logistics, and distribution facilities. Matt’s brokerage and consulting services are best in class and consist of real estate negotiations, network optimization, supply chain analytics, relocation analysis and negotiations, lease evaluations, consolidations, portfolio consulting, subleases, acquisitions, dispositions, strategic planning, labor analytics, demographics, site consulting, power studies, comparative financial analysis, construction design consulting, post-occupancy services, and state and local incentives negotiations. Matt has an impeccable resume related to large portfolio partnerships. Matt earned a Bachelor of International Business from the University of Washington and a Master of Science in Supply Chain from Michigan State University. Additionally, Matt has earned a Logistics and Transportation certificate from Georgia Tech.
Colliers (NASDAQ, TSX: CIGI) is a leading diversified professional services and investment management company. With operations in 67 countries, our more than 15,000 enterprising professionals work collaboratively to provide expert advice to real estate occupiers, owners, and investors. For more than 25 years, our experienced leadership with significant insider ownership has delivered compound annual investment returns of almost 20% for shareholders. With annualized revenues of $3.0 billion ($3.3 billion including affiliates) and $40 billion of assets under management, we maximize the potential of the property and accelerate the success of our clients and our people.
Key Takeaways: Developing a Distribution Strategy
- In the interview, Matt explains the importance of developing a comprehensive distribution strategy before buying a property.
- To have a successful distribution strategy, partner with a real estate broker who specializes in logistics and supply chain real estate.
- A real estate broker who specializes in logistics and supply chain will ensure that you select a distribution center location and building that enables a successful distribution strategy.
- When selecting a location consider the rent, utility costs, access to expressways, labor availability, labor costs, labor demographics, infrastructure, public safety, building layout including docks, and warehouse vs office space.
- Elements of a successful distribution strategy
- Customer locations and shipment frequency
- Supplier locations and shipment frequency
- Access to trucking company terminals, ports, railroads, expressways, airports, etc.